Friday, June 29, 2012

Coach Spotlight: Katie Stone

1st year Americorps member
College Coach
Tulane University

Interview with Katie Stone

1. What brought you to CoFo?
Well, I always knew I wanted to work in the non-profit sector, and had often considered Americorps. I lived in New Orleans before graduation, where Americorps does a ton of amazing work, and I also saw a documentary called "Left Behind" about public schools in New Orleans that made me want to focus on education reform. I saw CoFo as a way to get into that sector. I didn't even know it would be as awesome as it is!

2. What is your favorite thing about working here?
Well it used to be Sara McCabe's scones, but since our beloved Marketing Director left, I guess I'd have to say Andrew Galen's effusive personality and sparkling charm.
Or just the really open and welcoming community of coaches and ability to build strong relationships with amazing teenagers. But everyone will say that, right?

3. Where is your favorite place in the office?
When I am not hanging out with Team Lauren (whoop whoop) in our "Cave" (aka the only office without windows), I like to visit the Space Team in their awesome windowed room. They are always welcoming to distraction, and plus, there are some great beards going on in there.

4. If you could describe CoFo in 5 words, what would they be?
A glass case of emotion

5. What is your favorite thing about living in Austin?
The fact that every random gas station you walk into seems to have a better selection of craft beer than most liquor stores elsewhere.

6. Describe your most memorable CoFo moment.
Recently, we were brainstorming for an open-ended essay using what we call the "Adversity Checklist." This is a list of things we believe colleges view as difficult for students, and it helps them to formulate essays on obstacles they have overcome. One of my student checked that nearly everything on the list had occurred in his lifetime: family members in jail, experiences with drugs, single parent household, indebtedness. He did not, however, check the last box, which asks, "have you or your family members ever suffered from depression?" When I asked about it, he told me, "Miss, we're brown! The only time we get depressed is when someone steals our burro!" This was obviously a joke, and a potentially offensive one at that, but I think the overall situation highlights a lot of our students' attitudes toward life: things go wrong, but they don't get down. They laugh it off and move on.

7. What is a hidden talent you have?
I can cross one eye.


8.What advice would you give future coaches?
Don't be afraid to annoy the crap out of your students, and potentially have them hate you a little for a bit. One of Senior Coach Tabitha's students told me this at the senior lock in. She said that she hid from Tab for a while and never wanted to see her, but now that she is a graduate, she realizes that what Tabitha did for her, what she made her do, was the best thing anyone could have done. And now she loves Tab! I now aspire to have my students hate me in the fall. TOUGH LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment